Thursday, November 28, 2013

ASUU strike: Protest may be suspended within 24 hours

The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Wednesday put the weight of the ongoing strike on the Federal government as it said that the university strike would be called off 24 hours after the federal government accepts the new resolutions reached with President Goodluck Jonathan on November 4.

Recall that the Union had conducted a referendum late last week, where 60 per cent of the lecturers voted for the re-opening of the shut schools.
Relatively, in a swift reaction to a statement credited to the Education Minister , Nyesom Wike, the Union said that Wike’s assertion that ASUU was making new outrageous demands was “untrue and absolute lie.”
ASUU had avowed that it only asked the president to ensure that the resolution reached at the meeting was endorsed and signed by a reputable government official, preferably, the Attorney-General of the Federation, and would object to having a permanent secretary sign the agreement.
ASUU said a representative of the body, including the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Abdulwahid Omar, would stand as witnesses.
The union had requested that N200 billion agreed by both the federal government and the lecturers as 2013 revitalisation fund for public universities must be kept in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for disbursement to relevant universities.
While speaking with the Nations Newspaper on Wednesday, the National Treasurer, Dr. Ademola Aremu, said the Union appreciated the effort of President Jonathan but observed that the letter sent to the Union does not include some of the resolutions reached with the President.
He said that, the supervising Minister of Education was not telling the truth for not disclosing that apart from the N30 billion earned allowances released for university staff, the government has not released the N100 billion.
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Yemi Adebayo <yemi.adebayo@aniekov.com> wrote:
On 27 November 2013 21:13, <ali.adoyi@dailypost.com.ng> wrote:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Wednesday put the weight of the ongoing strike on the Federal government as it said that the university strike would be called off 24 hours after the federal government accepts the new resolutions reached with President Goodluck Jonathan on November 4.
Recall that the Union had conducted a referendum late last week, where 60 per cent of the lecturers voted for the re-opening of the shut schools.
relatively, in a swift reaction to a statement credited to the Education Minister , Nyesom Wike, the Union said that Wike’s assertion that ASUU was making new outrageous demands was “untrue and absolute lie.”
ASUU had avowed that it only asked the president to ensure that the resolution reached at the meeting was endorsed and signed by a reputable government official, preferably, the Attorney-General of the Federation, and would object to having a permanent secretary sign the agreement.
ASUU said a representative of the body, including the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Abdulwahid Omar, would stand as witnesses.
The union had requested that N200 billion agreed by both the federal government and the lecturers as 2013 revitalisation fund for public universities must be kept in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for disbursement to relevant universities.
While speaking with the Nations Newspaper on Wednesday, the National Treasurer, Dr. Ademola Aremu, said the Union appreciated the effort of President Jonathan but observed that the letter sent to the Union does not include some of the resolutions reached with the President.
He said that, the supervising Minister of Education was not telling the truth for not disclosing that apart from the N30 billion earned allowances released for university staff, the government has not released the N100billion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hae Stop!!! Dont Just Read and Walk Away. Drop A Comment

Follow by Email